Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Girls' Day Out: Lysekil & Fiskebäckskil

On my first day trip with the girls, I got myself so turned around that I ended up in tears. On my first trip to Fiskebäckskil, I sprained both of my ankles. But I'm determined not to give up on exploring Sweden, so off we went on a day trip to Fiskebäckskil.



We actually started in Lysekil. It's a town about an hour south of us, on the water. Our destination was called Havets Hus (The Sea House), the local aquarium.

Outside stood a small play area. I've noticed before that all of the playgrounds in this region of Sweden (maybe in all of Sweden?) are ocean-themed and have boats to play on. It still comes as a surprise to see yet another playground with a boat. I feel like this is indicative of a major difference between Swedes and Americans. In the States, conformity isn't valued like it is here.



The aquarium was small, but with some interesting exhibits and enough English on the displays to help us follow along. The space was designed like an IKEA, with arrows on the floor showing visitors how to proceed through the museum. I also feel like this is another cultural difference. In the States, people wouldn't like to be told which way to go and they'd purposely go against the grain to set themselves apart.

Flatfish. Always a big hit.

Replica of a giant oarfish, world's largest bony fish!

Playing dress up under the jellyfish lights.

Everybody loves the stingrays.

Next, we walked up to the church overlooking the city. We poked around quietly inside. In the back, behind the pews, was an area set up like a cafe with small tables and a self-serve coffee machine. Although I haven't visited many churches in the US, I can't imagine a cathedral like this anywhere in the world with a cafe set up right in the nave!  I know that it's common to have coffee or a social gathering after a church service sometimes, and we have seen cafes attached to churches here. But this set-up, with the tables and chairs behind the pews was a first for me.

Church selfie

Coffee tables and a pipe organ

Gorgeous day, gorgeous place

We hiked back down the the aquarium to ask for help finding the ferry across to Fiskebäckskil. We had less than half an hour to walk back to our car (parked 700 meters away or about 7 football fields, if you're American), drive to the ferry stop, find the parking there, pay for parking, and buy tickets.

We were frantically trying to understand the ticket machine at the ferry stop when the ferry pulled up. It was hectic, but we made it!

Bye, Lysekil!

View from the crossing.


The trip across was short, only about 15 minutes. At Fiskebäckskil, we landed just in front of the swanky hotel where I'd enjoyed coffee my last time here. The girls and I walked over to the long stretch of sandy beach. It was totally different from the last time I'd been here. There were lots of families, my "private" beach was occupied, and the long dock held groups of kids jumping into the water. I wouldn't call it crowded, but much busier than my last visit, which was just before school let out for the summer.


Sunny, but windy enough for pants and a sweater

The infamous windmill. 

Highlight of Chelsea's day. Rescuing an inch worm.


After the beach, we hiked around the town a bit. We stumbled on a kids' birthday party and got to hear children singing the Swedish birthday song. The girls clambered up to the windmill, the scene of my recent misadventures. I declined to make the trek this time. We found a cute little cafe for a mid-afternoon fika, then made it back down to meet the ferry.

We did it!

In the end, I made it there and back without having to turn on the navigation system and (more importantly) without having to pull over and cry. I also did not injure myself, aside from slightly aggravating my weak ankles by walking around all day. The three of us were all exhausted after a full day out of the house and glad to arrive back home. Daytrip success!

No comments:

Post a Comment