Thursday, March 23, 2017

Month One Reflection

We left California on February 23, and today is March 23. It's our one-month-iversary!

One month in, I've learned a few things about our place and our town.

I've learned how to operate the household appliances. I've learned how to use that weird machine in the clothes drying room. I've learned that my hair dryer from home can only be used on the medium setting, lest it behave like a dragon and spit fire.

I know how to take the bus into town and to the big mall. I know how to reserve tickets at the (one and only) movie theater. I know how to avoid the school swim classes at the local pool.

I know my way around town, although I still get turned around at times. I know which cafes have free wifi and which have free bathrooms.  I know which bakery is the best one for getting your princess cake and fresh bread.


I now know a little about the food here.

I've learned that we're supposed to eat a slightly fancier dinner on Wednesdays (aka "little Saturday"). We should eat pea soup with pancakes on Thursdays, have popcorn and soda while watching a movie on Fridays (aka "Friday Cozy") and eat candy on Saturdays.

I've learned that when you buy your crisp bread, you should get the round one. Not the square one. And the stuff in the blue tube is caviar. And it is REALLY salty and REALLY fishy. And the rice pudding is supposed to have sugar and cinnamon added to it, or everyone will spit it out.

I've learned that there's a different word for oats than for oatmeal, and the cocoa powder is sold with the coffee, not the other baking supplies. ("Cause it's from a bean, mommy. Didn't you pay attention to that podcast you made us listen to?")


I know a bit more about my kids, too.

I've learned that my children having WAY less stuff makes it a lot easier for them to keep their room neat.

I've learned that they are adaptable. They go to bed at the same time, in the same room, even though they've always had different bed times and their own rooms.

I've learned to appreciate them more. Despite being away from their home, friends, and belongings, they are helpful, and playful, and joyful. (And yes, sometimes cranky and tired, but mostly joyful!)


Lots more learning to come, I hope. One month down, five more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment